The Queens Historical Society gives the Cinemart the distinction of being the oldest continuously operated independent theatre in the borough. Built in 1925, Cinemart began life as a 1500 seat single screen showplace called Metropolis but soon renamed the Inwood. Cinemart is the last of a generation of independent neighborhood theatres. In the early sixties, a New York art exhibitor acquired the theatre and renamed it the Cinema Art with plans to use it as the Queens leg of his art cinema circuit that included the Cinema Village in lower Manhattan and the D. W. Griffith (now the 59th Street East) on the Upper East Side. The booking policy drifted into more studio fare and the theatre was converted into a twin theatre in the early seventies. Later on, the theatre whose name in the meantime had become shortened to Cinemart was expanded and completely renovated into five screens with Dolby Digital sound system, new projection equipment and seats. The latest addition is a cozy café lounge with a working fireplace where patrons can enjoy light meals and beverages while waiting for the movie to start.
106-03 Metropolitan Ave
New York, 11375